heartbeats


I remember lying in your bed, one of those weekends that now seem to be ages away from me, and from the people we used to be. The sheets at the top of our feet, and your room softly lit by your blue curtains. You were resting your head on my chest and I don’t recall what we were talking about, when you said my heart was beating funny. I told you that in fact, I had a small heart condition; a tiny heart murmur that made my heart beat out of time… You were surprised, and I was startled that someone actually noticed it without using medical equipment. 

It makes me think now… About how sometimes we found ourselves in strangers, and how certainty comes when we are far away from everything we call home…
It’s curious, you know.  I’ve never spotted the difference in my heartbeats, probably because I’ve heard them all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment